News: DRDO successfully test fired the Guided PINAKA from Pokhran ranges.
- It is a multi-barrel rocket launcher
- The weapon system is equipped with state-of-the-art guidance kit comprising of an advanced navigation and control system.
- It is named after the bow of Lord Shiva and it is developed by DRDO, alongside Pune-based Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) and ARDE, the High Energy Material Research Laboratory in Pune
- The initial version of the Pinaka rocket had a range of 40km before it was developed into Pinaka Mark II, which had an enhanced range of 70-80 km.
- The upgraded version can fire off guided extended range rockets at 90 km range.
- Each Pinaka launcher has its own computer, allowing it to work independently.
- Pinaka launcher can fire rockets in different directions, fire all rockets in one go or select few.